When it comes to recruiting your next employee(s), it’s time to get CREATIVE!  The question though, is how do you make recruitment efforts creative?

These two examples of hiring signs are some of the most common that we see in storefront windows today.

They’re boring!  And so are most of the ads that you see in the classifieds, Facebook, online job posts, marquees, and even on radio and TV.

If you are hiring today, are your recruitment efforts normal, ho-hum, or even boring? Or are they different, exciting, eye and ear-catching, or unique?

Boring doesn’t cut it!  And if someone does inquire about the position, they’re typically not a prime candidate!

The Gallup Poll suggests that nearly 51% of the workforce are “Passive Job Seekers”. These are people that are not actively looking for a new position or job but would consider one if the right position were presented to them. Of the remaining 49% of the workforce, 20% are actively looking for a new job and 19% are secure and would not consider switching careers.

To capture the attention of the “Passive Job Seekers”, the more desirable candidates, your efforts must be more than ordinary!

So, when it comes to recruitment, how do you get creative?

Rule #1 is DON’T BE NORMAL!  Most job postings answer the basic questions of WhoWhatWhen, and How Much, but they fail to answer the WHY!  Why is the opportunity a good, or even GREAT, opportunity? What makes it interesting? Why should someone consider working here? You know, the fun and exciting stuff. Get Creative!

For years, when we needed to hire, we could simply run an ad in the classifieds or post a “We’re Hiring” sign, and voila, they would line up at your door. That is not the case today.

Regardless of the form of employee recruitment communication you use, either written or spoken, Be Creative!  Talk about the things your company or this position has that are exciting and will appeal to potential employees.

Here are 8 ideas to help you make your recruitment efforts more exciting:

#1: Open-Ended Job Posting or Messages:  Be secretive. Don’t mention the details of the job or position; only talk about or mention the FUN and POSITIVE things that make working for your company fun, exciting, and rewarding.

#2: Use Humor:  If you can incorporate humor into the recruitment message, you’ll capture more eyes and ears.  Example:  “WARNING: Trespassers will be Hired”  or, “Now Hiring: Even the Long-Haired Freaky People can now Apply!”

#3: Create a Name for your Team of Employees:  Do you have a name for your group?  A few examples might be:  “The Clean Team” (cleaning service or dental office), “Tire Kicker Helpers” (automotive sales), “The Cool Team- Some are Hot, Some are Cold” (HVAC company), “Come Join the Power of Peska” (Construction company).

#4: Name of the Position:  Get creative with this. Most positions have a “Professional” title or name. Instead of IT Specialist, say IT Guru. Instead of Educational Assistant, say, “We’re looking for special people that help make a child’s day better”. Instead of Automotive Mechanic, maybe use Professional Grease Monkey.

#5: Post Employee Videos:  Have some of your most outgoing and best employees tell WHY working for your company is fun and rewarding.

#6:  Create a Recruitment Video:  Create a video, post it on your website or social outlets, and promote it in every way you can.  Have Fun! Show the fun and exciting parts of your company and work environment.

#7 Host an After-Hours Open House:  Invite the public to come to your open house, serve food and drink, give tours, have current employees talk about what it’s like working for your company.

#8: Use your Customers as a Center-of-Influence:  Make your customers your recruiters.  Either hand each customer a “Now Hiring” card, or create a “Now Hiring” poster” on a sheet of paper and place in it the bag. Again, be creative!  Your customers just might know someone who might be looking for an opportunity.

If you need help recruiting, Contact Titan Broadcasting & Digital Group today for a free Marketing Consultation. Our success is based on making you successful too!

We also have a jobs listing page on our website, contact us today to post your job here: